What are my passions? What motivates me toward genuine learning? What skills have I mastered that will support me as a lifelong learner? What’s the point of school? These questions ran through my head as I developed my project. Through my learning process, I came to realized that there is more to paddling then just a race.
I have developed a lot physically as a paddler since the day I started when I was in the 7th grade. Despite the fact that I gained more power and strength in the boat, I feel that I moved a level up after learning the true meaning of paddling and how to do turns. My coach always tells my team and I that the stroke is one of the most important elements in paddling. Without a good pace, the boat won’t get anywhere. Many people may think that starting off a race fast, as if you were in track, would get you to the finish line first, but according to coach Kevin, that’s false.
Doing this project helped me realize more about myself as a learner. I have the ability to be patient while learning a new skill. I’m a good listener which makes it easier for me to listen to my mentor while he was teaching me how to do turns. I also found myself enjoying the process of listening to stories of how my coach began paddling and the history of paddling itself.
I feel that as I continue my journey in paddling, I will take this experience with me. I will always keep in mind the specific things my coach has told me while teaching me turns and the background of paddling itself. Doing this project has improved my mind set when I’m involved in this sport. It gave me a greater understanding of what it takes to be a true paddler.
Hi Tati!
ReplyDeleteNice job on your Journal #3, describing your background as a paddler and how your learning and growth as a person is connected to this experience!
mrs s