Sunday, May 13, 2012

This I believe


We all have a fingerprint. It’s something we can claim as our own. It’s something that makes us unique. It’s something that makes us different from every other human being on our planet. The word fingerprint is defined as an impression or mark made on a surface by a person’s fingertip. Well in my eyes, imagination and creativity works the same way as a fingerprint does. We have the ability to leave our mark on this world by the things we do through our imagination and creativity. Without these two elements, society would be living day by day in the same routine.
The summer before my sophomore year of high school, I experienced a magnificent wake up call. I met someone that opened my eyes to the creative side of me, the part of me that was begging for an adventure. I’ve known this person my whole freshmen year but it wasn’t until summer that I really “met” him, where I got to understand who he was deep inside and what goes on in his mind. 
I was going through a time where my imagination and creativity was not cutting it. I was very serious about everything I was experiencing in my life. When I would be stressed, he would use his humor and imagination to try to get me out of that state of mind. This friend taught me that sometimes we need to let go of our worries and let our imagination and creativity take us somewhere beyond the norm. 
As I started to really spend my time into talking to this friend, I noticed a change in my heart and a change in my mind. I realized I started to think more outside of the box. I found myself laughing a little bit more, having a little more hope in myself, and using a little more of my creative machines in my head. I let my imagination and creativity guide where I wanted to go and I was satisfied with the things I’ve experienced. I tried new things, and lived my teenage life a little more. 
I will be forever thankful for this friend of mine. If it wasn’t for him, I wouldn’t be the type of person I am today. I thought about how much time he devoted into making me happy and helping me to get my imagination and creativity working again, just like how it was when I was a little girl. Along with his wide range of creativity, he taught me how to put others before myself. This I believe. I believe that imagination and creativity can take you anywhere in life! 

3 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading your essay. I like how you use a variety of words to explain how you feel. But i think that you should explain more in depth feelings such as showing the types of reactions or expressions you had. also you could some things your friend had said to you to make you more open. But overall the essay is good and just add those small things and i believe it would be great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tati! I agree with what Brayton said, and I'll add that I think it would be really great if you could weave in sensory words, detail, and maybe even dialogue into your essay so that as reader, I can feel like I'm "living" your story. That being said, I really like your essay!
    -Leah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tati,
    First, I really liked your introduction, using the fingerprint as a representation or metaphor for your identity and creativity.
    I agree with your teammates that the essay was enjoyable to read and flowed nicely from beginning to end.
    Like them, I think you need more specifics. What you need to do is show your creativity and imagination. What did you do or what about you would show that you are now more creative...that you live outside the box? What are those experiences that you are now willing to try because you are more creative?
    Those details provide the support and the evidence of your belief and how it affects your life.
    mrs s

    ReplyDelete